Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I Hate You Mommy...

(To our moms, don't worry, this post isn't about you!! We still love you!)

Every Tuesday, we have the privilege of visiting the kindergarten class at our school. It is probably the highlight of our week. The kids are absolutely adorable and so much fun. We go to the class for about 10 minutes, and in that time we usually read a book, sing a song, and teach them a new English word. The kindergarten teachers are the ones who pick out the books for us, so when we come they hand us the book and we start reading. When they handed me the book this week, the title caught me off guard. It was, "Mommy, I Hate You." I figured there had to be a good moral to the story so I was like what the heck and started to read the book. Basically, the book was about a child who was jealous of his baby brother, and blamed it on his mother. And at the end of EVERY page was the line, "Mommy, I Hate You." I felt a little uncomfortable saying these words, over and over again, even though the kids couldn't understand a word I was saying, but still, I just didn't like saying it. As I was nearing the end of the book, the story still was not getting any better and the kid still hated his mom. I was thinking, this has got to have a good ending, right? Well as I get to the last page, the mom explains to the kid that when he was a baby, she took just as good of care of him as she does his brother. And how does the kid reply? "Mommy, I hate you." The end. I can't imagine who would write a children's book like this. But then I remember where I'm at. Welcome to Korea!

**Update from the mean pills post, as long as we are talking about hate. The other day at lunch we ended up sitting near the poor unfortunate girl at our school everyone is mean to. Children were being so cruel to her and telling her she could not sit at the table (but it was pretty much the last seat in the lunch room). Well these kids did everything they could to get away from her, going as far as to shove their chairs into other children's chairs to slide away from her. Seeing this Shawn decided to say hi to the girl. When our co-teacher noticed he was saying hi, her response was "You're too nice". INSANE. All we can say is we hope a little kindness goes a long way with this girl...because she needs it!

1 comment:

Craig said...

Maybe the book was translated wrong.